Forgot how to shed???

S

SpongeDon

Hello!

I've had my Leo for about 2 months now and he is currently shedding for the 4th time. The first 3 went off pretty much without a hitch, although I did help him a little with his toes the first time via a warm bath and a Q-tip.

Well for some reason this time he seems to have completely forgotten how to shed! I missed him shedding his head, which seems to have gone fine, but it would appear that once he got the old skin down around his neck he decided to give up. That was two days ago. I've been giving him warm baths twice each day, and helped him out with a foot again last night because it was pretty well wrapped up in skin.

I have TWO humid hides in his tank. One that he used for his first 3 sheds (which is just a regular pet store cave with wet paper towel for a floor), and another that I put in because he seemed to be getting a little big for the initial one (a sandwich sized tupperware container with a hole cut out of the top and wet paper towels for a floor and on the sides). He spends most of his time in one or the other, but I have yet to see him pull at the old skin like he did the first three times he shed. During his baths I soak the old skin with an eye dropper and that even helps to push it back a little bit more, but once I put him back in his tank he doesn't make any effort to continue the job. Here's a few pix of what he's looking like:

0914002051.jpg

0914002154.jpg

0916001930.jpg

So, any advice? Should I break out the Q-tips and try to help him get the rest of the skin off or just let nature take its own course? How long shoudl I wait before trying to help him out some? Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Taquiq

JK Herp
Wait another day or so because he looks like he could get it off. Keep giving warm baths and if he still hasn't shed help him out a little bit. Also make sure you spray the humid hides and have something he can scratch his body on in is terrarium.

prettyinpink

Wait another day or so because he looks like he could get it off. Keep giving warm baths and if he still hasn't shed help him out a little bit. Also make sure you spray the humid hides and have something he can scratch his body on in is terrarium.

+1 and welcome to the forum. You have a very cute leo :)

Like the above poster stated, make sure you're keeping and nice moist hide.

Salt4Sam

Beardies and Uromastyx
I have a question, neither of my leos have shed yet, but cant you just pull it off for them? Or is that bad?? :main_huh::main_huh:

Jordan

thats bad. but if its really loose and your confident its just gonna come off easily then its fine, but the second you feel it pull a bit on your gecko's skin, you stop.

Visit our friends