gecko has not been eating

zotto

I have had these two geckos since the day they were born, they are both about three days apart. the one has always been on the smaller side and a little more shy. but her older sister has always been huge and a not mean but she is kind of bigger than the other one. so i have have seen a little bit of territorial sort of nipping but nothing too serius. but about 4 months ago she layed an infertile egg and lost alot of weight. well 4 months later she still has not eaten (for 4 months) and is in her own cag with everything she needs i have tried mealie crickets and waxworms. any ideas how to get her to eat? also i know she is not compacted because she stil lays little urin things?

zotto

She is in a 10 gallon with paper towles a moist hide and a little cave hide she also has a water bowl and a food bowl. Is active BUT IS NOT EATING. Is also shedding a little more than usual and often gets shed on her eyes

zotto

I think she is in a pretty much perfect enviroment. Is there any way to jumpstart a none feeding gecko, she is also having problems with sheds. And yesterday I found a HUGE peice of urin and poop her cage. Has anyone ever had a gecko like this? How did u get it to start eating again?

Shera

I assume she has a warm and a cool side eh? Does she get light in the day and dark at night? This is probably not your answer but it worked for me to get my 2 girls off of a 1 week hunger strike. I had them in dark almost all the time, and I think they were hibernating. As soon as I started opening the curtains wide in the morning and leaving them open all day both of them simultaneously started eating again.

Designer Geckos

Contributor
One thing we've found that works really well with leos when they go off food for a period is to feed them white, recently shed superworms. Even leos that won't eat waxies often find the white supers irresistable. Once they start eating those you can get them back onto mealies or regular supers easily. You need to re-establish their eating response, and white supers are often times the perfect solution.
We house our supers in organic oat bran and provide fresh carrots, kale, apple and orange slices, etc. so they are really high in nutrition and the leos love them. In a shoebox of 500 medium superworms you should get 2-6 white, molted superworms per day. They only stay white and soft for a few hours so feed them quickly.
It is also my opinion that leos generally do much better when individually housed.
Good luck.

Last edited:

roger

I have had these two geckos since the day they were born, they are both about three days apart. the one has always been on the smaller side and a little more shy. but her older sister has always been huge and a not mean but she is kind of bigger than the other one. so i have have seen a little bit of territorial sort of nipping but nothing too serius. but about 4 months ago she layed an infertile egg and lost alot of weight. well 4 months later she still has not eaten (for 4 months) and is in her own cag with everything she needs i have tried mealie crickets and waxworms. any ideas how to get her to eat? also i know she is not compacted because she stil lays little urin things?

You used the words " she laid an infertile egg" singular. Is she eggbound? u said she dropped only one egg.is it possible she still has on egg inside her.Can u flip her over and check? I had this verything happen to me.Can u post pics ?

zotto

Would it be possible for her to hold a egg that long? Last time I looked at her stomach looking for that I don't think I saw anything. Wouldn't something have happened after holding a egg for 4 months?

Visit our friends