Got the incubator going

Angel

SOo excited for this season I think i have 2-3 females gravid 1 for sure the other 2 are bigger and rounder I just dont see eggs yet. However figured I better get the incubator up and running and check temps and such.
Im aiming for females this year I read someones post on temps saying 81degrees for 3 weeks and then up to 86 on the 4th week and raise 1 degree a day , BUT what if I have different clutches can I put them in at 86-90 if thats what the incubator is or will I just end up with some male clutches, or is there a better way to get females?
My thermometer is in celcius too so I will have to try to convert temps, possibly add another thermometer to check temps. Its a converted bar fridge with heat tape on the back and bottom.
I plan on using squamata concepts sim box so Im on that site getting advice as well but would really value any imput or advice on temps, should i use a bag of water in the fridge as well? what mix of perilite and water do you use? or is vermiculite better? This is my 1st year and im hoping for a good 1. Cant wait till I can post pics of new hatchlings =):D

artgecko

can't really help on the different temps etc. But here is a great way to convert temps...
use Google search. Just type in "85 degrees f in c" (without the quotes) and Google gives you the conversion. This works for other conversions too ... 2 miles in km, etc.

Khrysty

Unless you have a different incubator for every clutch, the temp raising is nearly impossible to do. It's not at all necessary, and some people think it's almost like deceiving your customers when you do it that way. It's best to just have one incubator set for female, and one set for male. Or one single incubator set for both sexes (or just one if you prefer). That's the best way I've found.

Angel

thanks I did google and got all the temps written down for it all, im planning on incubating at 81-82 that should be female right? do females take longer than males to hatch bein at lower temps?
Also looking at the different sites i found that people are saying to use vermiculite or sphagnum moss in the lay box , the breeder who sold me my blizzards had coconut fiber in the lay box is this fine or do I need to change it?

Khrysty

I use coconut fiber in my lay box. It stains the eggs though, so if you don't want that I would recommend the moss.

At that temp you will most definitely get all females (you may have one or two males that defy the odds..temp sexing isn't always exact). They'll take about two months to hatch. Incubating at the highest temp for males will make them hatch in about a month. And anywhere in between will hatch between 30 to 60 days

Angel

sounds good I want mostly females better chance i can house together later down the line if they dont all sell. I have people waiting for geckos but you never know people change minds or you get more than expected ect.

softballstud_1099

I know when I set temps for females I just left it at around 82 the whole time. yeah may take a little bit longer but if you want all females and only have one incubator thats what I would say you do. it works for me.

Visit our friends