Is it possible for feeder roaches to infest?

RampantReptiles

Is it possible for the tropical feeder roaches to cause an infestation? I mean arent there places in your home that are warm and humid that they could thrive?
I would like to know since that is the reason my mom wont let me get feeder roaches... I see tons of people that have them so wouldnt that be an indicator that they cant infest?
My furnace room in the basement is also where the well water system is seems like a possibility so what are peoples responses?

Magic Merlin

You live in New York so the answer is NO, not possible, will never happen, hell will freeze over, and pig will sprout wings and fly before a tropical roach species lives long enough in your state to reproduce. These guys have a hard time living and reproducing at 80 degrees so 75% of the year they will just flat out die.....tooo cold inside and outside. Only the very southern tips of the US have acceptable conditions outside yearround to support the roaches and hence that is why they are illegal in Florida. My suggestion is since you are an adult it is time to stop playing World of Warcraft or Halo and move out of your mommy's house. LOL (^_^)

RampantReptiles

I meant in the house I know not outside lol
Hey I dont play World of Warcraft anymore! :p
I might move out if I could get a friggin job... Ive been unemployed for 9 months and the only reason that I am not starving out on the street is my moms support so...

adam&nikki

You live in New York so the answer is NO, not possible, will never happen, hell will freeze over, and pig will sprout wings and fly before a tropical roach species lives long enough in your state to reproduce. These guys have a hard time living and reproducing at 80 degrees so 75% of the year they will just flat out die.....tooo cold inside and outside. Only the very southern tips of the US have acceptable conditions outside yearround to support the roaches and hence that is why they are illegal in Florida. My suggestion is since you are an adult it is time to stop playing World of Warcraft or Halo and move out of your mommy's house. LOL (^_^)

in these tought times right now im glad to see hes not on the street trying to raise his leo anyways keep looking for a job i know its hard but instead of roaches try using mealies they are great and wont take up much space and are cheap to breed

RampantReptiles

I do raise mealies but I want to supplement the diet.. more variety = healthier geckos. I am also looking into super worms but have not had any luck... I had some shipped to me and they were all dead so not sure what to do. I think it is just too cold this time of year for shipping supers. Considering starting my own super worm colony as well...
Also I am a girl just so ya know...
-Michelle

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
I also live in NY and have multiple colonies of both dubia and lateralis roaches. I've had the occassional escape but never had anything colonize the house, usually find a dead roach or more likely the cats find the live ones and eat them, lol. The odds of A) a male and female pair escaping and surviving long enough to breed and B) them actually making it to a part of your house that is warm and humid enough AND has enough food for them to actually survive long enough to develop a sustained colony is HIGHLY unlikely. Although there ARE warm areas in the house, most houses in this area are in the 60-70F range on average in winter and are too dry for tropical species to survive. And regardless of that, as long as you're using a non-climber species(dubia/lateralis/discoid) and maybe take a few precautions(I keep a ring of super slick packing tape around the upper edges of my bins) it's very unlikely you'd ever even have an escape to begin with. Literally you would have to take a jar of roaches to the warmest part of your house and dump them on the floor to have any chance of a population establishing itself. So, although nothing is impossible, it's pretty much 99.9% that you wont end up with an infestation even if you do get escapes.

Magic Merlin

I meant in the house I know not outside lol
Hey I dont play World of Warcraft anymore! :p
I might move out if I could get a friggin job... Ive been unemployed for 9 months and the only reason that I am not starving out on the street is my moms support so...

Just for clarification, my post was written with the assumption that the conditions inside the home would be soo uncondusive to their survival that they would eventually head for the great outdoors in search of better living conditions.

I just quit World of Warcrack couple months ago.....my first step was admitting I had a problem.

Good luck with the job search.....you might want to take a crappy job while you are looking for something that better utilizes your talents....some income is better than no income.

I have returned home at several points in my adult life in order to take care of ailing parents so I understand your "ailing financial pocketbook" reason for the extended home visits.

Visit our friends