Ok to go without aquarium top?

Alex G

Since these geckos don't have toepads like the kind that can climb vertically do, and I have no cage furniture that goes anywhere near the top of my 10gal tank, would it be alright to leave the top open? I can't imagine a 4inch or even an 8inch gecko jumping the 9inches it would take for them to escape the tank, and it's been placed in a bit of a tight area (bookcase) so extracting a tank-top before doing semi-daily chores such as changing water and paper towel and then replacing it would be a huge pain... not that I'm adverse, I'm just curious if they COULD escape. I can take a picture of the setup if necessary.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
Got any cats, dogs or small children? If yes, I'd stick with a top(perhaps with locks) if not, then I don't see why you couldn't skip it.

Alex G

Cats and dogs, but neither can reach the tank. Thanks for the fast responses! I just wanted to be sure these guys (or girls?) didn't have some sort of crazy jumping ability I don't know about.

fl_orchidslave

Some are quite the escape artist. Small as they are right now it's not an issue in the 10gal but I would be planning for one when they're a bit bigger. There's been posts on the forum before about lost leos. Better to be safe than sorry :)

fuzzylogix

Carpe Diem
Some are quite the escape artist. Small as they are right now it's not an issue in the 10gal but I would be planning for one when they're a bit bigger. There's been posts on the forum before about lost leos. Better to be safe than sorry :)

+1

ive had three leos escape so far, one of them escaped from a 20 long with a screen top, still haven't figured that one out. another one escaped from a tub, again, no idea. and the last one escaped from a tub on my new rack, but the shelf had slid out about 1/2 inch when i pulled the tub out. still took me a few minutes to figure out.

Alex G

Ok then! When they're bigger I think I'll move them into a 20gal (if they're not male-male) with a screen top anyways, since I don't plan to have them in the spot they're in for too long anyways.

InsanePirateDragon

InsanePirateDragon
Just watch out if you go introducing any new critters to the house.

My original screen had holes cut into it from when it was used as a guinea pig cage that I picked up at a yard sale.

My original cats totally ignored it with the occasional sleeping perch for my old tom.

But brought a new kitten in and a couple of months later, she became interested in geckos and breached the tank several times.

So just be careful cats don't take a sudden interest in them.

monkeytechahoo

2 of my 4 cats are witnessed hunters, 1 we're not sure and 1 runs away, BUT I still wouldn't trust the runner. 2 small dogs and they both are maybes when it comes to chasing stuff. My pug LOVES to chase & mouth frogs, lizards are a "mood" thing for him. My pom I think will chase even when not commanded to, I've seen him go after something but stop because he was commanded to.

It's a dog & cat's natural instinct to chase/hunt/stalk smaller animals and you can not guarantee them to not follow it. And I'd never trust a cat to NOT reach something when it wanted to. *lol* Just my two cents. :)

Visit our friends