kill mealies first?

A

Aunt J

Bought mealies for the first time at the petstore today; salesclerk told me I had to crush their heads before feeding them to my leo. I've never heard this before and it sounds wrong. Have you guys heard this before? Agree or disagree?

Kotsay1414

You feed 'em we breed 'em
Aunt J said:
Bought mealies for the first time at the petstore today; salesclerk told me I had to crush their heads before feeding them to my leo. I've never heard this before and it sounds wrong. Have you guys heard this before? Agree or disagree?
I disagree. I feed all of my Leopard Geckos live mealworms. I have them in a dish which is about 2" in Diameter and 1" in height. I got it at Petco in the water dish section.

All I do is put some mealworms in the dish and let my Leo's eat when they like.

Hope this helps,

Kyle

crayolaskies

There is no need to crush the heads. The geckos are actually more likely to eat them if they are alive, because geckos tend to prefer live food that they can see moving. Well, at least mine do.

G

GeckoMandi

This is a myth!! Geckos like their food moving!

I have a couple that will eat some that aren't very active, but mostly they like the ones crawling around the tanks best!

ReptileMan27

Mealworms are safe, all the cutting of their heads because they will eat their way out of the lizards stomach myth, is just that, a myth and theirs no truth to it. Mealies are fine as a staple diet or part of a varied diet. Just make sure to remove all unaten ones, because they have been known to chew off toes and stress the lizard.

GoGo

I'm Watching You
Like reptile man said, the head crushing/cutting off with both mealies and supers is a myth. But you dont HAVE to take them out again if you put them in an escape proof bowl. I find having them in a bowl makes my gecko's more happy and laid back plus they crawl around more trying to find a way out of the bowl(which there is none cause i use an exo-terra worm dish with the cover that stops them from climbing out but doesnt stop the leo's from shoving their heads and most of body in)

ReptileMan27

420Geckos said:
LMAO! Where do these ideas come from?
LOL, pet stores probly, I remember being in a local pet store a few years back and remember someone asking about what to feed the new lizard they bought, and the pet store worker said crickets and mealies, but make sure to cut the mealies heads off first, so they cant eat their way out of the lizard:main_laugh:

C

crs

If this were true there would be no more leos in the world because the leos would die from the insects eating through the leos stomachs.

Visit our friends