feeding problem

pinoygex

Hi!, I have an adult male that just wouldn't eat regularly. I'm worried that he might lose too much weight. Right now he's already skinny. What can I do to stimulate his feeding? I have tried mealworms, supers and dubias but he only likes mealworms.

Gregg M

Registered Member
How are you keeping him??? What are the temps on the hot spot and what are the ambient air temps??? You need to give us a better idea on how he is being kept and how long he has been off feed for...

pinoygex

Well I live in a tropical country so I don't provide them with hot and cold spots just normal room temp. He is housed alone and has a humid hide. He has been off feed since after breeding. He eats irregularly. I always dust me feeders with calcium and vitamins. I have not noticed him getting anymore thinner but I also can't make him gain more weight.

nats

Since leos are mountain desert creatures, they do not do well in
tropical climate. But, if your terrarium floor stays 90F all the time,
you would never need a heat source. If you have the terrarium inside
a building, I seriously doubt you can do that.

LizMarie

Well I live in a tropical country so I don't provide them with hot and cold spots just normal room temp. He is housed alone and has a humid hide. He has been off feed since after breeding. He eats irregularly. I always dust me feeders with calcium and vitamins. I have not noticed him getting anymore thinner but I also can't make him gain more weight.

I wonder if he's been eating irregularly because he doesn't have the proper "BELLY" heat. Your country might give him the best air temps but for him to digest food he needs that belly heat. Without a heat source how are you providing a proper heat gradient?

S

Snowy & Petra de Gecko

The Belly Temp

The Belly Temp or Warm Side of the Tank needs to be 88 to 92 (and Gregg M likes 95:main_yes:).

The Air Temp in the tank needs to be in the mid 80s.

So see if the temps are correct.

pinoygex

My other leos are fine. They eat and poo regularly. Anyway I'm planning to get some heat tapes, hopefully it would fix this problem. Thanks!

Visit our friends