New Leo not eating

S

Spense

Hey guys I'm a first timer and just took a leo of a neighbors hands. He looks fine and has no signs of a runny nose, white stuff around his mouth, and his tail is still large and plump. I picked up the gecko on Saturday and I have had him for 4 days now and he is yet to eat. The previous owner had been feeding him mealworms for 3 years so I know he is used to eating them but just for the sake of it I also but a couple of crickets in his cage. He is yet to eat anything but he has pooped once.

While I have never had a gecko, the information from this site has lead me to believe that the temp could be to cold but I am not sure. The temp in the tank is only showing around 70 or so but there is a heat lamp that he sits under and I believe that the temp is warmer in this area. Anyways I purchased a small under the tank heater today to place under his hide. I hope this works but if it doesn't does anyone have any suggestions and also should the undertank heater be on the timer with my light or should it run continuously.

Thanks for all the help and info of this site. It is all very interesting.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Congratulations on your gecko. Make sure you're measuring the heat on the floor, not in the air. Floor heat should be in low to mid 90's. Under tank heater should run continuously but it will need a thermostat or dimmer (rheostat) if it gets too hot. I have found that heaters under ceramic tile can just about be used without a thermostat because they seem to get to the proper temperature on their own, though I'm sure there are people who have had different experiences with it.

YOur gecko will eat when he feels comfortable in his new home (even if he's in the same tank, he knows things are different). Some geckos hold out for a few weeks. Some don't eat that much at this time of year anyway.

Aliza

S

Spense

Okay, well that makes sense. I will keep an eye on him and try not to handle and stress him out to much

Visit our friends