Leos and shedding.

dl8286

So my girl has started to surprise me. She's begun shedding every 2 weeks lately. I've had her since the start of June. Actually I think June 1st. When we brought her and the male home she had a toe in rough shape. It's since fallen off without infection issue which relieved me (I asked questions in the health forum over here, people were very helpful). We've also been offering her a more varied diet. She was cautious at first but now likes crickets, horn worms, silk worms and butter worms and of course the supers she was used to are still accepted. Ordered some phoenix worms which should come in this week I suppose. I wonder if this has something to do with an increased frequency of shedding? The previous owner said she always had a shed every 4 weeks. The boy has remained at the 4 week mark but she has upped the frequency. The male has a much larger tail, not that hers is skinny. But he also seems like more of a food beggar than she is. I'm sure you all know "the stare".

They were being kept under lights prior to coming with us and didn't have heat pads. Lights are gone and heat pads are in place. Thermo to regulate. Moist hides are in place now and kept moist when a shed is coming. I didn't really like the sand that was being used either so switched them off it and on reptile carpet. We also added a tile in each tank in their poopin' spot. Makes for easy cleaning. Bought them bigger tanks, dust their food with the calcium and now herptivite as well since they never had it before. The whole 9 yards =p. My wife is even making a special cave for the boy. Then it'll be her turn. The bearded dragon cave is nearly 100% complete. Success!

I was told the owner had them for a few years and got them off someone before that. No idea how old they were then either.

Do you guys think it's a culmination of the changes that are leading to her increased shedding or is there anything that points more directly at it? Last nights shed went very well. Usually she has a bunch stuck to her toes but she decided she was actually going to use the moist hide this time and I didn't have to do any extra work for her.

Thanks and happy gecko-ing.

indyana

They shed more often when they are growing or when they are healing, so it could be a few different things going on. If she kept the two-week shed cycle up long term, I might be a little worried, but if she appears to be gaining weight, that would be more understandable.

dl8286

They shed more often when they are growing or when they are healing, so it could be a few different things going on. If she kept the two-week shed cycle up long term, I might be a little worried, but if she appears to be gaining weight, that would be more understandable.

Perfect! I'll keep logging it and see how it goes for the next couple months.

Appreciate it :).

dl8286

Okay well uh I went to look in the tank and she laid an egg on her poopin' tile. I'm sure it's infertile but...Interesting to say the least.

sausage

BSc AMAS
as already said if shes growing/ healing that could explain the increased shedding. Make sure your vitamin mix includes vitamin A - good for healthy skin and shedding :).

Visit our friends