how can I get the temp stable hovabator??

skunk

Live Fast Die Pretty
I have a hovabator and have it sitting in my room I have no eggs yet but it has been set up for weeks and my temps are ranging from 85 all the way down to about 81 at night . The water tray is full. Is there any way I can get the temp to stay more stable at 85 ?? Any advice

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
Is your room temperature stable? The hovabator will fluctuate along with the room, you may need a separate thermostat to hold the incubator steady if you can't control the room temp.

skunk

Live Fast Die Pretty
The temp in my room isn't stable. Should I put it in a closet ? Would it be more stable in there?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Most people find that hobovators work best with the addition of a proportional thermostat as has been alluded to above.

Aliza

JordanAng420

I used a hovabator with great sucess this year. My reptile room has an extremely stable temperature, even when the a/c clicks on and off, and I find that putting a towel over the incubator itself and using a proportional thermostat such as a helix works well. If there is an area you can find with no draft and a consistant temperature, you should be able to stablize the temps.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I don't think there's anything you can get at Home Depot. In the reptile thermometer department there is the ESU and the Alife. Many people would recommend against using these since they are not proportional thermostats. They would say things like "why trust an inferior thermostat in your incubator" and "if you can't afford the correct equipment for breeding you shouldn't be breeding". That said, I was not overly impressed with the temperature steadiness of the proportional thermostat I had when I was using it with a hobovator and some people have had success using these cheaper thermostats. YOu could always get one and test it out the way you're testing out your incubator now. No matter what kind of thermostat you use, if the ambient temperature gets above the temperature you want the inside of the incubator to be, or if it gets so low that the incubator can't reach the desired temp even if it's running all the time at full power, the thermostat will not help.

Aliza

Visit our friends