Snake eyes

mascutt

Are snake eyes some sort of rarity in leos? Mine has snake eyes, but I thought they all did. But I saw a website advertising leopard geckos with or without snake eyes, and the ones with the snake eyes were more expensive. It seemed as though the eyes were the main selling point for these geckos. Just curious :)

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
Snake eyes are not something that just happen in normal leos, they are typically from Eclipse or Blizzard genes.

mascutt

So is that a good thing? Because if the prices on that website are any indication, then I got a good deal. My snake-eyed leo only cost me twenty bucks because the pet store had had her too long.

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
isnt the snake eyes from the raptor lines?

Yes, in a way. The RAPTOR morph is a combination of Tremper Albino, Eclipse, and Patternless Stripe. The Eclipse part of that equation controls the solid/snake eyes, and the Tremper part makes the eyes red.

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
So is that a good thing? Because if the prices on that website are any indication, then I got a good deal. My snake-eyed leo only cost me twenty bucks because the pet store had had her too long.

That's a smoking deal if she is an Eclipse. Definitely not a Blizzard assuming it's the one in your avatar. If you post some pics you should be able to get an ID.

mascutt

Actually, I may be wrong. Not sure if she does have snake eyes now that I actually looked it up. I uploaded a pic of her eye. Kinda looks like a black pupil

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
Those are normal eyes. Here is an example of Snake Eyes from one of my Eclipses:

DSC02088.jpg

DSC02126Medium.jpg

mascutt

Ahhhh ok. No, mine doesn't look like that. At first, I thought snake eyes simply meant slitted eyes... that's why I thought they all had slitted eyes. Didn't realize it's not what I thought the word meant :) But those are really cool eyes!

Landen

LSReptiles
David, even though yours doesn't have snake eyes, you still got one heck of a deal, that is a very healthy looking pet store bought leo. Congrats and enjoy her.

mascutt

Thanks Landen. I'm not disappointed at all. I didn't pick her because I thought she had snake eyes. I picked her because she was the one no one wanted. Even at twenty bucks I couldn't afford to get her right away (because of having to buy tank, heat lamps etc..) But the pet store ppl knew me cuz I came in like every other day to make sure someone else hadn't stolen my gecko! hehehe

greedo11

I also thought "snake eyes" meant the slitted eyes, Mascutt! How come they have those eyes? Is t a harmless defect that someone thought "ooh I like that, i will breed it" eg: like curly coated cats?

Landen

LSReptiles
I hope you enjoy your new gecko, I get tired of seeing all of the post about the bad ones (i've rescued some myself too). It's truly nice to see the success stories too. It's sad that a healthy animal found at a pet store is rare.

The full version of the snake eye is the solid black eye from the elcipse gene. Most people know these snake eyes from Raptor's which are widespread and has eclipse in the genes. Raptor's are albino's therefore turning the black eye, solid red. Think of snake eye's as a bi-product of breeding with the eclipse gene. They ultimately are the incomplete form of the eye as it can be with the full eclipe.

But two snake eye'd gecko's have the same percentage of chance to produce the solid eclipse eyes as two solid eclipse eye'd gecko's do.

In my opinion, this is just another variation within each morph that makes leopard gecko's so appealing to me.

Visit our friends