Feisty leopard gecko?

LeoGirl575

Hey guys. :) I'm new here.. And new to reptiles. I got my first leopard gecko 2 months ago, and she's just a normal/wild morph (which I got completely ripped off for at a pet store - never buying from a pet store again).

Her name is Charlie, she's about 4 months old, and I am keeping her in a 10 gallon tank with a heat mat attached to a thermostat for heating (set to 90F, around 75F on the other side of the tank), paper towel for substrate, hides and water dish. I'm going to upgrade to a 20 gallon sometime in August.

Okay, so I have a question, since I'm kind of confused...
When I first got Charlie two months ago, I began holding her very slowly after I let her settle for a week or so (I admit - for the first couple days, I was excited, so I took her out once or twice for a couple minutes, but after that, I found out it was best to just leave her be). After about a week, I baited her into my hands with some mealworms, then took her out. She was very calm. I was impressed. Then slowly as the weeks went on, (I began handling her daily for 5-10 minutes to get her used to me) her calmness declined and she began to get feisty in my hands. She would run away, hide, and even when I put my hands in the tank to pick her up, she'd dash away. Today when I held her, she hissed at me when I moved her slightly.

My friend suggested that I let her be for a couple days, so I will.. She also suggested that "maybe she was always feisty... She was just calm at first because she was scared".

So, does anybody know what this feistiness is? And is there such thing as geckos going through stages of feistiness? She was calm for a good month... But for this last month, she has been feisty. And can juvies still be feisty like babies?

Thank you very much in advance. :) :main_thumbsup:

-Steph

Last edited:

silent183

Usually the smaller ones are a bit more feisty and jumpy but they usually grow out of it. By the time they are adults they are much more laid back. No worries :)

silent183

As long as there aren't really any signs of stress from the handling, like if she stops eating regularly, you should be fine.

LeoGirl575

Okay, then I'll keep handling her. I just want her to know I'm not going to hurt her. And all she wants to do is run away... Or crawl down my shirt...

So it's normal for her to still be feisty after I've had her for 2 months? Thanks again. :)

silent183

I've had mine smaller ones for about 4 months and they are still like that. My adults were the same way when they were smaller as well but they have grown out of it.

LeoGirl575

That's awesome to know, thanks. :)

I know this is kind of off topic.. But are two females usually fine housed together in a 20 gallon?

Thanks again for everything.

silent183

Yeah a 20 gallon is ok for two females but you should quarantine the new one before introducing it to your current leo just to be sure there is nothing wrong with it. Also once you do put them together keep an eye on them for awhile to ensure that they are ok with each other.

LeoGirl575

Yes, no problem with that. :) I don't even know if I'm allowed to get another. I was just wondering. Thanks again for all the help.

prettyprincess3690

I've had my two girls housed in a 20gal long for almost a year and I haven't had any issues thus far (knock on wood lol). Just make sure they are of similar size (mine are within 5 grams of each other) and provide at least 4 hides (2 warm 2 cool).

GrimmyX15

Mkay-um?
It's pretty normal for them :) My jackie are more feisty right now when I tried to give her little drop of mealworms smoothes. But she lapped it up!

LeoGirl575

Thanks! :) Back to the original question... Why was she calm when I got her, and not now? Because come to think of it, at the pet store, she was very calm as well...?
Thanks. :)

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
I would give her a few days to calm down before handling her again. Since she is running away and hissing at you, she will be stressed if you ignore her reaction and continue with handling. Just give her a few days, watch her and let her see you. Try again when she doesn't run to hide.

artnic93

Love thy Gecko
Hey guys. :) I'm new here.. And new to reptiles. I got my first leopard gecko 2 months ago, and she's just a normal/wild morph (which I got completely ripped off for at a pet store - never buying from a pet store again).

Her name is Charlie, she's about 4 months old, and I am keeping her in a 10 gallon tank with a heat mat attached to a thermostat for heating (set to 90F, around 75F on the other side of the tank), paper towel for substrate, hides and water dish. I'm going to upgrade to a 20 gallon sometime in August.

Okay, so I have a question, since I'm kind of confused...
When I first got Charlie two months ago, I began holding her very slowly after I let her settle for a week or so (I admit - for the first couple days, I was excited, so I took her out once or twice for a couple minutes, but after that, I found out it was best to just leave her be). After about a week, I baited her into my hands with some mealworms, then took her out. She was very calm. I was impressed. Then slowly as the weeks went on, (I began handling her daily for 5-10 minutes to get her used to me) her calmness declined and she began to get feisty in my hands. She would run away, hide, and even when I put my hands in the tank to pick her up, she'd dash away. Today when I held her, she hissed at me when I moved her slightly.

My friend suggested that I let her be for a couple days, so I will.. She also suggested that "maybe she was always feisty... She was just calm at first because she was scared".

So, does anybody know what this feistiness is? And is there such thing as geckos going through stages of feistiness? She was calm for a good month... But for this last month, she has been feisty. And can juvies still be feisty like babies?

Thank you very much in advance. :) :main_thumbsup:

-Steph

I have the same issue with mine, he is a juvenile, some days he's really good with handling, other days he's a hellion. No worries.

LeoGirl575

lol Yeah, I have to agree. Some days she just sits there.... And then others... Wow, she's crazy! Also, sometimes she'll run away when I put my hand in the tank to do maintenance, while other times, she'll be very curious. :p Guess it's just a phase... :/

LeoGirl575

She hissed at me a couple times while I was holding her today... I can't believe her mood swings.. This can't be normal. :/

Is there any way to pick up my leo without baiting her? Because every time I just pick her up, she usually hisses. Thanks

Last edited:

Visit our friends