Whats the best Digital Camera for Closeups?

• Thread starter sacredcreatures
  • Start date
S

sacredcreatures

Hello all, I am in the market for a new digital camera that takes good close-up Macro, and zoom pictures, plus easy to use. It doesn't matter what the cost is, I want the best one to take my reptiles pictures and also be able to do zoom photography. If you can tell me what all you use: Brand, model number, features, cost pros and cons about it and possibly post a good closeup picture with the info. I would greatly appreciate it. I have used the old Sony Mavica for years and its time for a upgrade! Thanks so much!!!! Deb

Milwaukee Reptiles

Gecko Addict
I like using my Sony W1 due to the large screen and small body, but if you get too close you can't really use the flash because it's too far away from the lens when focusing really closely. I use my canon 20D for more 'professional' shoots, and I know a bunch of people like the canon's S series handhelds as well. Anything with a decent macro function should suffice

S

sacredcreatures

Hi Brian, Thanks for the info, Are these cameras still available for sale at stores? I went to Circuit City and saw a few I liked but on some it wasn't easy to get a clear macro picture as easy as some of the others. Of course I didn't get the model numbers but one was a Sony and the other a Olympia. Both were alittle bigger than the slim kind. Tomorrow I will get model numbers but I hope to have more people write info about the cameras they use. Also pictures would be great! Thanks, Deb

Milwaukee Reptiles

Gecko Addict
Most of the handheld digicams have a macro mode, but they have to be activated (usually the small flower). When they're not in that mode they won't be able to focus at very small distances. Also, if you look at leopard geckos, in order to get the whole gecko in the shot you'll have to be at least 6 inches away anyway, so when trying them out make sure they are in the macro mode, and try focusing on stuff 8-12 inches away. Also make sure it's fairly bright since you don't want the shutter speed to drop (leads to blurry pictures)

I use....
Sony Ericsson k790a (3.2 MP camera phone $400) - Quick photos
Sony W1 (handheld 5MP $300) for most of the old reptile shots. I'm sure there's a newer model by now though. The macro mode is easy to engage and it has a very easy to see 2.5 inch LCD, but the camera uses sony's proprietary memory stick. I've heard good things about the canons in the $250-$400 range.

Canon EOS 20D (8.2 MP SLR $1200) w/100mm f/2.8 macro ($600).. and many other lenses. I use this primarily for the more professional shoots, basically all the photos at http://www.brianskibinski.com/photography were taken with this camera and one of my many lenses.

I would think any $300 5+MP camera with macro mode (should be on EVERY $300 camera, although it may be engaged differently) would do just fine (you can always crop the photos after the fact as well). It's been a while since I worked retail electronics so I haven't really kept up with specific models. Also, the more photography I do the more I realize it's not about the camera you use but about the amount of light and my technique/skills.

J

justin-branam

since cost is no matter, go with a canon 1ds mark II with a canon ef 180mm f/3.5L macro lens. should only set you back about $8,500. :D

S

sacredcreatures

Thanks for the info, I did buy two digital cameras a couple of weeks ago plus a new Laptop and stuff. I didn't spend that much on one camera but for everything I got I did. My lap top was the best there, with 2048 MB memory and 200 GB HD, Lightscribe Super Multi 8x DVD+R/RW drive double layer support, Webcam, plus alot more. Its a AMD Turion 64x2 Mobile Tech HP Pavillion. My cameras are a Panasonic TZ1 5.0 megapixels with 10x optical zoom and a Nikon Coolpix S4 6.0 megapixels and 10x optical zoom versatile swivel design ect. They seem to work pretty good but still learning alot about them both. I didn't see any camera with that price tag at any of the camera shops I went too. But it sounds like it must be damn good at that price. But I am so far happy with what I got and I have three printers that came with them too. Thanks for your help!! Deb :D PS JUSTIN AND BRIAN, I LOVE YOUR PHOTOS! AWESOME!

Last edited by a moderator:
L

LadyGecko

Thanks for the info-I feel so stupid
I totally forgot that you need to change the settings on the camera(the little flower) to use the micro mode
It's no wonder that my close-up shots have been all coming out blurry
I will have to practice some more later
:main_yes:
I have a Sony CyberShot 5.0 and I was considering upgrading to at least a 7.0 but I am going to fool around with the micro and see if I need to buy a new camera or not
I have recently seen some decent looking 7.0 mp with 10x optical zoom cameras at Wal-Mart for $225
not a bad price IMO
Is there a big difference in 2 mps?
LOL
Sandy

robin

the nikos d70's and d80's are nice with a killer macro lens, go sigma. also canon EOS 30d and eos 5d with a canon or sigma lens. recently nikon came out with the d40. a reasonably priced slr. it is supposed to have a load of options as well as it being a slr. the product reviews have been good. now this isnt going to compare to any of the above but it's a good start for an slr

P

paulnattress

Hi,

Unless you want to print photos bigger than 10" x 8" them 3-4 megapixel is fine. You'll get decent quality with that. Upgrading to 7MP won't offer you much more unless you want to print off massive prints or you want to crop your photos a lot. Sometimes increasing the resolution actually lowers the picture quality as the camera is putting more pixels into the same size sensor.

Check out www.steves-digicams.com as they have reviews of most cameras and they include sample photos (typically of the same scene) so you can compare the quality of the cameras. They also have a breakdown of every single function of the camera so you should be able to read a bit about the macro mode.

I've got a Canon 300D (called a Digital Rebel in the States) with a Sigma 50mm macro lens and the quality of the lens is stunning. If you want to read reviews of digital SLR lenses check out www.fredmiranda.com. In a lot of cases, macro lenses by Sigma and Tamron beat the Canon and Nikon ones and they're often a lot cheaper.

B

beakgeek

paulnattress said:
Hi,

In a lot of cases, macro lenses by Sigma and Tamron beat the Canon and Nikon ones and they're often a lot cheaper.

I have to disagree with this statement. The Canon and Nikon Prime lenses are expensive for a reason - exceptional glass.

There are lots of examples on the web that compare lenses and the quality of images to prove it.

Yes, you can get good quality images with Sigma and Tamron, but they don't come close to Canon or Nikon.

Here is the best tip I can give you. Find a photography forum that has lots of high quality images - naturescapes.net is a good example. Wait till February or March when Photokina takes place, and get a used camera body or lens from the classifieds. Lots of people like the latest and greatest gear - much like we all like the latest and greatest morphs - and sell used gear to finance new purchases. You can get some great one year old equipment for a good price.

Good Luck.

Terry
http://naturepixels.com

NaughtyDawg

robin said:
the nikos d70's and d80's are nice with a killer macro lens, go sigma. also canon EOS 30d and eos 5d with a canon or sigma lens. recently nikon came out with the d40. a reasonably priced slr. it is supposed to have a load of options as well as it being a slr. the product reviews have been good. now this isnt going to compare to any of the above but it's a good start for an slr

Just beware the D40 is only compatable with the AF-S lenses, and maybe the old AF-I. It is not compatable with all Nikon lenses.

Visit our friends