is it bad to mist the substrate?

sauroid

is it safe to rehydrate the substrate when the eggs are already on it? i think my substrate is too dry and it is the reason for my low hatch rate. im using perlite btw. the eggs dont look wrinkled or dry though. TIA.

Last edited:

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
is it bad to mist the substrate when the eggs are already on it? i think my substrate is too dry and it is the reason for my low hatch rate. im using perlite btw. the eggs dont look wrinkled or dry though. TIA.

Misting the substrate is not bad, as long as none of the eggs get wet.

You said you have a low hatch rate, are you sure the eggs are fertile?

Also a bullet proof way to get the perfect water to perlite rartio is .8 grams of water per every gram of perlite.

Good Luck! :main_thumbsup:

sauroid

it is impossible not to slightly wet some of the eggs if i mist, unless i take them out or transfer them to another box with new substrate, which i am not inclined to do cos i might damage the eggs.

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
well, if you are certain the incubation substrate is too dry, you will need to mark the eggs (so you know which way is up right), remove the eggs from the container, mist the substrate, but make sure when you put the eggs back that the perlite is not soaked, your eggs will mold.

with all of this said, if your eggs are not shriveling up or denting, i see no reason to add water.

Care to share a picture of the clutch? this would help alot!

roger

is it safe to rehydrate the substrate when the eggs are already on it? i think my substrate is too dry and it is the reason for my low hatch rate. im using perlite btw. the eggs dont look wrinkled or dry though. TIA.

Perlite is used for drainage purposes.For me it doesnt retain moisture like vermiculite does.I use 1.1 ratio.So if I use 30 grams of vermiculite than I use 30 grmas of water.I found my hatch rate went up.I used to think my vermiculite was too dry also.But I dont add water and my eggs hatch just fine.

GeckoGathering

GrizLaru
perlite

Perlite is used for drainage purposes.For me it doesnt retain moisture like vermiculite does.I use 1.1 ratio.So if I use 30 grams of vermiculite than I use 30 grmas of water.I found my hatch rate went up.I used to think my vermiculite was too dry also.But I dont add water and my eggs hatch just fine.

The reason perlite looks dry, as it should, is do to Perlite
being a drainage, airation, material. This allows the egg not to set in a puddle of water...
Drainage, good airation and no holes in the egg container allow humidity to surround the egg to properly do the job. Vermiculite works also, but since it is a water retention material, you can over saturate it easier not making the best conditions for the egg.
Take care. Hj

UnicornSpirit

Graphic Designer
Mist the sides of the container, not directly in the middle- they will still have the moisture they need. Spraying directly onto the eggs can drown them.

Gregg M

Registered Member
I dont think you should re-mist at all to be honest... If the eggs are not denting or showing any other signs of dehydration, there is no problem... You may do more damage if you start spraying than if you leave them alone...

Do not open the container.. Leave them as they are...

There are many factors that go into and egg not hatching and in this case, it does not seem to be incubation substrate related...

Set up your incubation container properly from the start and you should never have any issues...

Visit our friends