Heating Racks

Retribution Reptiles

Stripe King
OK well i know that there are tons of these threads but i have yet to find one that could help me out.

I'm looking into getting an AP rack system, i was going to use the heat tape as the source of the heating but i'm having issues with trying to figure out what kind of thermostat to use. I have see on AP's site for Helix and Spyder Herstat i think it's called.

After all that here comes the question, what would be needed to control temps as well as if i'm looking at say 10 shelves how many would i need?

Thanks,

Ryan

LeapinLizards

It's a BEAUT Clark!
Depends on how long the shelves are. I assume you will be using flex watt heat tape? If so, the 3" heat tape is 10 watts per foot.

For example, my rack is 3.5' wide.
3.5(feet) x 10(watts per foot) = 35 watts per row

I have 12 rows, so:
35(watts per row) x 12(rows) = 420 watts for my WHOLE rack

Therefore, I got a 500 watt Herpstat Thermostat to control my whole rack.

Retribution Reptiles

Stripe King
i was soooooo hoping that you would reply Heather. I knew you just built yours and would have the info. But is there a certain one i should buy or does it just depend upon size of rack and footage of heat tape used?

LeapinLizards

It's a BEAUT Clark!
Well aren't you just lucky I have no life outside of gecko forums :p :D

Everyone has their preferences :) If that is what you mean! I have heard nothing but good things about Herpstats, and that is why I went ahead and spent the $100, and am now sure I won't have any big problems in the near future.

The maximum wattage of the thermostat is obviously something you'd need to check into. When I bought my Herpstat from www.thebeanfarm.com it is stated in their information about each thermostat what the maximum wattage is.

Retribution Reptiles

Stripe King
Does anyone have an AP Iris rack system that has better pics then what is provided on AP's website? I know i ask a lot but it's always better to be fully or as fully informed as one can get.

Visit our friends