Humid Hide Help

marula

me too...my humid boxes stay in the middle of my leos cages...some people have 2 humid boxes in the cage: one in warm side and one in could side...if you have space and possibility is the best solution..

Last edited:
A

Aunt J

Do you need a humid hide in there all the time, or just when he's shedding? Mine hasn't shed yet, but he's been in his new cage for a week and he has yet to go into his humid hide.

supremegecko

Wally - Supreme Gecko
Scott&Nikki said:
Mine goes in the humid hide more than anything else. However, after a few hours it dries up and isn't much of a "humid hide", but he is always in there.
That's surprising. My humid hide will stay moist for at least a week or more.
What are you using in the hide?

I use vermiculite in my hide. I also leave it in all the time- I never know when they will shed or, during breeding season, want to lay their eggs.
There are very few times during the day that the leopards are not in their hides. In the evening, they venture out to explore.
I also am probably in the minority here as I leave my hide on the cool side. In nature, don't these animals find a nice cool crevis somewhere, curl up and wait till night to hunt scorpions and spiders? I felt a cooler hide better fit that purpose.

Last edited:

Sandra

I put it in the cool side, because mine always use the hide in the warm side as WC :main_angry:

My two geckos seem to prefer the warm side to take a walk (and other things, lol!) and the cool side to rest.

Jeanne

Abbie's Human
Hmm, Maybe Marcia can answer this, but, wouldn't by keeping the moist hide on the cool side, make bacteria build up in the hide?

Sandra

Ummh... Well, as far as I know, bacteria need two things to reproduce successfully: warmth and humidity. Keeping the humid hide on the warm side should increase the risk more than lowering it.

Anyway, either you put the hide in the cool side or in the warm side, those temperatures are favourable enough for bacteria. They only stop (or at least slow down a lot) reproducting below 5ºC or over 60ºC.

Visit our friends