Problem with a new gecko introduction

G

Guillaume-G

I had two leopard gecko that always live with each other (3 years old) and I bought a new one that is one and a half year old that always lived alone. The new one i jiggling it tale and biting the other ones. After I saw that I immediatly removed it. Is there a way to help avoid that? Also can I just let them togheter for a couple a minute even if they fight without any damage made?

Dan K.

well if the 2 you had were females and the new one was male he might have been trying to mate. It's better off you should quarentine him first anyway.

G

Guillaume-G

I know the person how ad the new one and I know it's healthy. Also I don't have another terrarium.

JordanAng420

Tail rattling and neck biting are generally mating behavior...how sure are you that it's female?

I just have this funny feeling...

G

Guillaume-G

OMG it is a male... I trusted the person but I guess they don't know anything. It have the V line of pore. :(

JordanAng420

:main_yes: Thought so...keep and eye on your females as he may have already fertilized one or both of them. Keep 'em separate from now on if you're not ready for little ones....

JordanAng420

He's really pretty...

If you do get another gecko that is female...Dan is absolutely right, quarantine, quarantine, quarantine!

G

Guillaume-G

Why is that? To know if it's heatly or carrying desease?

JordanAng420

Exactly. Let's say you brought a gecko home and immediately put it with your other geckos...and a day or two later ends up with diarrhea, or starts regurgitating...the vet tells you he/she has an intestinal parasite, or some other disease that can be transmitted to other geckos and maybe you....at that point not only would you need to treat the sick gecko, but the other geckos in the tank as well...you don't want the horror of losing/euthanizing an entire collection from something that's totally preventable. There's a few people on this forum that have experianced this. You're better off just getting the extra tank & waiting a month rather than playing russian roulette with disease.

G

Guillaume-G

Yeah thanks for the advice. I'm just pissed I was careless and didn't chek if it was really a female.

JordanAng420

That's okay...it was a mistake...one that the breeder should have caught, but that's a different thread :main_rolleyes: ...at least you'll know for next time :) You did the right thing, rather than just letting it go, which is much more to say than most people.

Like I said, watch for eggs, just in case he actually did "follow through" ;)

G

Guillaume-G

Yeah, I didn't glimpse once when I put him in there. I tough they were fighting hahaha and I took him right out... so he didn't had the chance to guet lucky :p

G

Guillaume-G

I'm gonna guet a male for sur someday when I can afford another terrarium. I would like to experiance breeding at least once heheh

Chewbecca

www.ellaslead.com
It's not that expensive to set up another cage.:D

You can buy a 6 gallon sterilite/rubbermaid container and some heat tape and a rheostat.

That's what we keep ours in. It's not fancy, but it does the job and the geckos are happy.:D

Visit our friends