Rack Substrates

trizzypballr

What does everyone use in their racks? Ive heard people using paper towels, heard it was easy to clean up, for the last 2 weeks thats what i have been using and it just seems to be a pain because the leos all move the paper towels around and go to the bathroom on the plastic containers then which makes more of a mess, and besides that they like to crawl under the towels which i dont like to much either. I liked it better when i kept them in tanks with sand, I know that sand isnt good for the little ones because of the posibility of compaction though, what are my other options, would sand be ok for adults?

GoGo

I'm Watching You
If your using a rack system just for offspring, paper towel, if your also using it for older geckos and breeders, repti-carpet.

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
Maybe you could use something with a little weight (e.g. a small stone) to hold corners of the paper towel down?

PaulSage

I'm baaaaaack!
I recently switched from paper towels to kraft paper because the paper towels were getting moved around too easily. The kraft paper is significantly harder for the geckos to kick around and get under. It's also easier to pick up geckos off of the kraft paper because they can't get their nails into it like the paper towel. So far I'm really liking it, although it is more expensive than cheap paper towels.

R

Reptileking$

I seem to be the odd man out on this one. I use tiles and slate for all my lizards not one is on paper towel. A lot more expensive to start out but in the long run you save from only having to buy once. I bought 50 12"x12" slate tiles, 100 of 4"x4" and 100 of 6X6 tiles for $250 Canadian(Cheap for the kinds of tiles I got). When I need more for a rack system I simply by more but I normally find cheaper tiles that were from house projects that are only a few left from house projects. Fairly cheap considering in about a year what I would have paid before for paper towel I only spend once on tiles. It also looks much better, just my perspectives of this.

gixxer3420

Yup my leos move the paper towel around and hide under it. I don't see the big deal with this, doesn't bother me at all. This only happens in the glass tank I have set up for sub adult females. in my racks I have a hide,egg laying chamber, and moist chamber in each rack, with all that it holds the paper towel down so the leos can't get under it.

trizzypballr

speaking of the egg chamber, where in the tank does everyone keep this? half way between warm spot and the cool side, or on the cold side? how many people use hide spots?

I

Ishtar

I use computer paper as well. At first I did not like it, but now I like how feeders cant hide and it is considerably cheaper.

Visit our friends