31gram, very thin geck wont eat!!! HELP!!

Lady Hyena

My lovely Cheza will NOT EAT A THING! I'm super worried! She's over 7 inchs and only 31 grams! Shes a snow engimas so i understand that being a engimas she may have probelms putting on weight but she wont eat!! I've tried Dubias, Red racers, mealies, super worms, crickets, wax worm, pheniox worms and silk worms but she just wont eat! Her tail has nothing to it! When she poops its only the urine part but thats slightly gray(i assume from not drinking much either) She doesnt look like shes impacted even so i am soaking her just in case. She ate about 5 days ago 3 crickets but since then nothing. She is still new under quarintine for a bit longer but she doesnt appear sickly other then her refusel to eat. Any tips to get her to eat? Should i force feed? I can get a pic of her if you'd like to see. shes the sweetest gecko i have ever met! She comes right out of her hide every time you open her door and walks right onto you weither you want her to or not. Shes not on sand(tile) and her temps are right(90 on the hot side and 83 on the cooler side. Shes alone right now, she was with her buddy, Nia, but with her refusel to eat and Nia's none stop appitite i Dont wanna risk her gettin bullied if she taikes a interest in the food. I like to hand feed but with her I'm leving food in a dish(mealies) but she just wont eat!! HELP pleaseD:

fl_orchidslave

Have you tried the gecko soup recipe on the sticky at the top of this section? Just some dabs of it on the nose and lips and she should start licking. Force feeding is so stressful and should only be done as an absolute last resort. The tail you described is worrisome :( A photo would be good, if you can. I would most def keep her quarantined! There is an underlying problem tho, maybe parasites, that needs to be treated. A vet should be considered.

Lady Hyena

Have you tried the gecko soup recipe on the sticky at the top of this section? Just some dabs of it on the nose and lips and she should start licking. Force feeding is so stressful and should only be done as an absolute last resort. The tail you described is worrisome :( A photo would be good, if you can. I would most def keep her quarantined! There is an underlying problem tho, maybe parasites, that needs to be treated. A vet should be considered.

I did call the vet and the only opening they have is in 2 weeks. This vet is the only one this north in MN and i dont think a 4 and a half hour drive one way would be good for her...No i havent tried that, I'll do it tonight if I have everything. This is how i got her, She hasnt gained weight nor lost any(i am weighing her) I honestly dont think its parasites. Other then the lack of poo and the slightly discolored tone to the white it hasnt been runny or anything, i also had her housed with another i reseved from the breeder and shes 100% eating like a cow and her poops just fine. I thought it;d be stress but ive had her now for almost 2 weeks and even tho its so short shes definatly at home. She comes right up to you or the glass and does enjoy coming out of the cage but sicne she refuses to eat i havent been taking her out(shes not happy about that either she's very persistant!!!) I took a pic of her compared to my mack snow thats the same size as her(is really a smidge smaller) its super heart breaking!
Also i only said that bit on the force feeding because the vet said thats what i should do...but i honestly dont have the heart to do it shes so sweet i'd hate for her to dislike humans.

Lady Hyena

So i just looked and dont have evrything so I'll be heading to town tomorrow but is the dog food very important? and this is safe right? the slushy? Ive alwasy been told dont proscribe anything yourself and the pedialite and such wont kill her right?

Junk

I have a blind leo that I have been feeding yogurt and a powdered carnivore supplement (just add water) with a syringe my baby(not so baby... about 5 yo) loves berry flavored. I have been feeding him about 1 - 1.5 mL every other day and his weight has been staying very good for about a month so far

jemjdragon

The slurry is fine for her and is specifically formulated for reptiles that won't eat because they are sick. Nothing in the recipe will harm your gecko. I've used it several times. But be careful with replacing any of the ingredients. Hills A/D canned pet food is specifically made for dogs and cats that are malnurished (sp) or sick and you may have to go to a vet to get a can. Other canned pet foods sometimes have strange ingredients so if you do plan on substituting Hills A/D pet food, read the labels on the substitute can. Pedialite is basically to help hydrate her.

Since I fiind the recipe makes a lot of slurry, put only what you need in the cleaned and empty baby food jar that you should have because of the recipe and store it in your fridge. Freeze everything else in an ice cube tray and store the cubes in a zip lock bag in the freezer. If the slurry in the jar runs out or goes bad, wash the jar and defrost a slurry cube in it. =]

Force feeding a gecko is very stressful and should only be done as a last resort. Basically put a drop of the slurry on her lips and/or tip of her nose (don't get it in her nostrils). She will lick it up when the liquid starts to "bug" her. Be pacient. Some geckos love it and will lick it straight from a dropper/syringe. Others don't and you will have to do the drop on the lips or nose thing all the time.

Also, since pedialite comes in large bottles usually and can go bad, I freeze it when I'm done using it. Leave the cape a bit unscrewed when first freezing it, because when the liquid expands in the bottle while freezing. It can break the bottle. You can screw it on completely once its frozen. Or if you're worried your gecko is really dehydrated, you can put pedialite in her water bowl. Though you will have to replace it everyday. =]

fl_orchidslave

The slurry is fine for her and is specifically formulated for reptiles that won't eat because they are sick. Nothing in the recipe will harm your gecko. I've used it several times. But be careful with replacing any of the ingredients. Hills A/D canned pet food is specifically made for dogs and cats that are malnurished (sp) or sick and you may have to go to a vet to get a can. Other canned pet foods sometimes have strange ingredients so if you do plan on substituting Hills A/D pet food, read the labels on the substitute can. Pedialite is basically to help hydrate her.

Since I fiind the recipe makes a lot of slurry, put only what you need in the cleaned and empty baby food jar that you should have because of the recipe and store it in your fridge. Freeze everything else in an ice cube tray and store the cubes in a zip lock bag in the freezer. If the slurry in the jar runs out or goes bad, wash the jar and defrost a slurry cube in it. =]

Force feeding a gecko is very stressful and should only be done as a last resort. Basically put a drop of the slurry on her lips and/or tip of her nose (don't get it in her nostrils). She will lick it up when the liquid starts to "bug" her. Be pacient. Some geckos love it and will lick it straight from a dropper/syringe. Others don't and you will have to do the drop on the lips or nose thing all the time.

Also, since pedialite comes in large bottles usually and can go bad, I freeze it when I'm done using it. Leave the cape a bit unscrewed when first freezing it, because when the liquid expands in the bottle while freezing. It can break the bottle. You can screw it on completely once its frozen. Or if you're worried your gecko is really dehydrated, you can put pedialite in her water bowl. Though you will have to replace it everyday. =]

+1!
Hill's is only about 2 bucks at the vet's. When I made it, I used a large quantity of superworms. My Annie took right to the slurry and after just 2 weeks was ready for just the worms. It really helped her not just to maintain weight, but IMO was a bridge to eating normal. She gained 5 grams in a week and eats her worms every day now. The recipe, made as directed, has been used by many folks with great results.

Lady Hyena

thanks for all the info!:D i was able to convince a vet to sell me a can without a prescription(thanks to these threads) Cheza licked that up for 2 days and is now taking mealies again:D should i make her stay on the slurry/soap? shes put on 3.4 grams:D its a releif!:D thanks for all your help!

fl_orchidslave

That's good news! You can freeze the slurry as Joanne said above, or use an ice cube tray for smaller portions. Now you have some ready if needed for another. Thanks for the update :)

Lady Hyena

How long do you think the soup will last in the freezer? She doesnt seem like shes gonna stop eating again;D if anything it looks like shes not gonna! Shes ate 2 super worms, 4 dubias, 5 mealies, and a waxxie yesterday!! not all at once im feeding her in the am and pm. thanks for everyones help ^^ i was so worried she'd just pass away one night. I know shes not as thin as some pet store geckos but she was loosing weight daily. thanks once again:D im sure Cheza would thank ya too if she could talk!:main_thumbsup:

fl_orchidslave

IDK the shelf life of the frozen slurry, I guess when it smells freezerish. Our cubes are stored in a freezer zip bag. It looks like caramel sized candies bc I used a mini cube tray- warned the family not to eat them :) You may need some for another tho, never know. Stuff happens.. rescues.. adoptions. If I knew of someone in my area that needed it I'd give some away. Glad your girl is eating again!

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
If she is eating normally then there should be no need to continue assist feeding.

I agree. I looked at the photos, eventhough she might be on the slim side, she doesn't look too bad to me. Plus you said she ate 3 crickets 5 days ago and is not losing weight. I would just make sure she has the right temps and stuff; perhaps you can cover up the sides of her tank so she has more privacy, and hopefully she will eat more.

Lady Hyena

I agree. I looked at the photos, eventhough she might be on the slim side, she doesn't look too bad to me. Plus you said she ate 3 crickets 5 days ago and is not losing weight. I would just make sure she has the right temps and stuff; perhaps you can cover up the sides of her tank so she has more privacy, and hopefully she will eat more.

Her temps are right no worries there and her cage almost completly covereed minus the bit of glass she gets and honestly she spends most of her time during the day/night sitting on her hide looking out at me saying "take me out!" D: breaks my heart making her stay in there but i'd rather wait and see if shes gonna keep eating rather then risk it and take her out. Shes so sweet, when i clean her cage and change water and mist her hide shes trying to climb onto me to come out if im not careful she ends up on my shoulder! she weighs so little its hard to notice her lol. She did start to loose weight after i posted this(ironic eh?) she droped some grams in that short time but shes now getting back up there....i hope. Does anyone think it might be because shes a engimas? I hear some are stuborn eaters/picky eaters my other 2 are two of my best eaters.

Lady Hyena

IDK the shelf life of the frozen slurry, I guess when it smells freezerish. Our cubes are stored in a freezer zip bag. It looks like caramel sized candies bc I used a mini cube tray- warned the family not to eat them :) You may need some for another tho, never know. Stuff happens.. rescues.. adoptions. If I knew of someone in my area that needed it I'd give some away. Glad your girl is eating again!

Lol i think ill just wait and see if she's gonna keep it up once shes to 40ish grams i think its safe to say shes gonna keep eating and I'll either find someone who needs it or toss it and save the other stuff just in case she does this again. Im gonna put the pedilite in the freezer since i hear it goes bad quickly. LOL thatd be funny to see someone use one of the ice cubes soup mixes in there drinks! Be a nice mean prake to pull on someone...to bad im not that meanXD Plus most of my family(close and distant) know how worried i was and that i made it and worked.

Now i cant wait for her to get up to weight like the others! Shes so pretty! Shes a nice light lavander color with 2 grayer blotchs on her back, the pics dont even do her near justice!

Last edited:

fl_orchidslave

I make candies and store some stuff in the fridge. Since using a LOT of superworms in the slurry, and the mini cube tray, it really does look like chocolate caramel sized stuff. If Tim, or his 15 yr old dau (and her friend that spends the night) thought they could get away with breaking into my candy supplies they would. The rats! Now if I froze slurry in mini peanut butter cup shapes we would indeed have an issue. LMAO

Lady Hyena

XDD that would be super funny!XD Itd teach them not to take things that arent theres;D Lol a cruel thing everyone must learnXD That'd be a nice evil thing to give people candy on halloween(once you didnt like) Minus all the medical stuff just mealies/supers dog food and suchXD How evil, nah?

Here's a pic of her saying "PLEASE take me out, arent i cute?" lol Shes now eating 2 supers and 5 mealies Minimum!:D shes up to 34 grams already! Whats a good heathy weight to be putting on?

Lady Hyena

Well i found out why she wasnt eating=-= She was carrying eggs!!!D: the breeder didnt tell me they bred her! There fertile tooD: this si very unextected!D:

Visit our friends