Does environment color change anything?

B

Blankminded

I was wondering if the color of a leopard geckos environment ( substract, hides, dishes, backgrounds, ect..) would have an effect on the outcome of its color. If i was to keep a leo in a tank with everything white from birth and keep its clutch mate in an all black tank from birth would there be a difference? I don't think it would make a HUGE difference but has anyone done this? if so what was the outcome?

Ian S.

Hello,
I've always wondered the same thing. I used to keep normal spotted (wild type) leos on brown paper towels years ago, while working at a local pet shop, and the geckos were considerably darker than the normal or (wild type) leos I keep on white paper towels currently. The only flaw in that is, that one could legitimately debate that leo's have been drastically linebred from 6-8 years ago till now for lighter color. Common knowledge about reptiles in general, tells me that they more than likely would darken to better blend with their surroundings. However, I also agree that it probably wouldn't be as large of a factor as a gecko kept in cooler temps or high stress levels which are main reasons for darker pigmentation. Followed by breeding, Leos sometimes darken after breeding.

Last edited:
B

Blankminded

wow thats awsome but my 2ed question would be.... does the color stay or would it change back if the color and temps changed?

K

KellyTCS

My wild, somewhat educated guess would be that it would change back if alterations were made.

B

Blankminded

That what i thought but i belive i read somewhere in trempers book that if changed from birth after a while i wouldnt be able to go back. I was woundering if anyone has tried this with good or bad results?

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
wow thats awsome but my 2ed question would be.... does the color stay or would it change back if the color and temps changed?
A few years ago I did an experiment on a SHTCTB where I housed her on white paper towel at around 93-94 degrees (hot spot), and then put her on brown Repti-Carpet at 90 degrees. She started to turn brown. I turned the temp. up to 94 degrees, and she continued to get darker. Then, I put her back on the white paper towel at 94 degrees, and she went back to tangerine again... it just never got as bright as it was in the beginning.

On white paper towel @ 94 degrees:

keeper1_small.JPG

After 3 days on brown carpet @ 90 degrees:

keeper-%20after_small.JPG

After 14 days on brown carpet @ 94 degrees:

Keeperlast2_small.JPG

After 7 days back on whitepaper towel @ 94 degrees:

keeper-%20after2_small.JPG

B

Blankminded

Wow thats what i was woundering. thank you so much for shareing this info. Now i wounder if this was done from birth after a long period of time would the leo bbe able to turn back? I will have to try a few new things this season to test some theories i have.

Kotsay1414

You feed 'em we breed 'em
I love the brown color she started to get... To bad that isn't something genetic that we could replicate by breeding.

leo77

Golden Gate Geckos said:
A few years ago I did an experiment on a SHTCTB where I housed her on white paper towel at around 93-94 degrees (hot spot), and then put her on brown Repti-Carpet at 90 degrees. She started to turn brown. I turned the temp. up to 94 degrees, and she continued to get darker. Then, I put her back on the white paper towel at 94 degrees, and she went back to tangerine again... it just never got as bright as it was in the beginning.

On white paper towel @ 94 degrees:

keeper1_small.JPG

After 3 days on brown carpet @ 90 degrees:

keeper-%20after_small.JPG

After 14 days on brown carpet @ 94 degrees:

Keeperlast2_small.JPG

After 7 days back on whitepaper towel @ 94 degrees:

keeper-%20after2_small.JPG

Whow,,thanx for sharing this info Marcia:main_thumbsup:

LeosForLess

In my big tubs the only substrate they have is in their moist hide, otherwist the tub is bare. I may try puttin one of those females into a different bin.

DAWNoftheLEO

My mack ghost first was on carpet (grey) and than a dark slab of slate, in couple days on slate i noticed she had this almost grey darkish blizzard type hue to her.. 2 weeks ago when i switched all my gex to paper towels, her white and hypo brightened back up to almost normal.

Visit our friends