Some questions and pics needed!

T

tpotter

Are fat tail geckos good for handling?.. What is the average humidity required for them? is the sand to be kept moist constantly? Are they similar to leopard geckos?? and can someone please post for me their Fat tail gecko's enclousure please !! Thank you***

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Are fat tail geckos good for handling?.. What is the average humidity required for them? is the sand to be kept moist constantly? Are they similar to leopard geckos?? and can someone please post for me their Fat tail gecko's enclousure please !! Thank you***

Here's a picture of my AFT enclosure: http://geckoforums.net/showthread.php?t=21449

Fat tails are excellent for handling since they are so much slower and more "cuddly" than leopard geckos, though I do find them a bit boring sometimes.

I would not recommend keeping them on sand because I feel that the particles are too small and that it's very unnatural for where they come from (W. Africa). I keep my leos on ceramic tile, but decided to do a planted tank for the fat tails and use coco fiber as a substrate. You can read about the particulars in the other post. I have changed some things around a bit since the pictures were taken.

I don't worry too much about the humidity. The soil and plants result in higher humidity than a leo tank with tile. I have started misting my AFT enclosure because my female is not in great shape and this lets her lick water droplets from the side rather than make the trek over to the water bowl. So far, both of them are fine except for Mocha's medical condition (enlarged liver; been to the vet) which may or may not resolve.

Aliza

Baoh

Here's a picture of my AFT enclosure: http://geckoforums.net/showthread.php?t=21449

Fat tails are excellent for handling since they are so much slower and more "cuddly" than leopard geckos, though I do find them a bit boring sometimes.

I would not recommend keeping them on sand because I feel that the particles are too small and that it's very unnatural for where they come from (W. Africa). I keep my leos on ceramic tile, but decided to do a planted tank for the fat tails and use coco fiber as a substrate. You can read about the particulars in the other post. I have changed some things around a bit since the pictures were taken.

I don't worry too much about the humidity. The soil and plants result in higher humidity than a leo tank with tile. I have started misting my AFT enclosure because my female is not in great shape and this lets her lick water droplets from the side rather than make the trek over to the water bowl. So far, both of them are fine except for Mocha's medical condition (enlarged liver; been to the vet) which may or may not resolve.

Aliza

What is the nature of her hepatomegaly? Is it fatty or something else?

T

tpotter

So what substrate would you recommend? a mixture of several things?

Lecko my Gecko

tyler, some people use coco fiber bedding or the forest bedding you can get at any locol shop. most of us use paper towel, its easiest and cheapest. just make sure you provide a moist hide box. fattails need a humid area for shedding. good luck

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
What is the nature of her hepatomegaly? Is it fatty or something else?

I wish I could say I know, but I don't. I brought her to the reptile vet, whose opinion I respect, on 2/1. I had noticed her increasingly getting "pear shaped" and losing fat from her tail. She had been brumating and didn't eat for awhile because of that, but I think she was starting to look like that before brumation. Since she came out of brumation mid-Jan. I have been hand feeding her and have been able to give her (with effort) 4-5 crickets at each feeding. When I took her to the vet, he attempted to aspirate her liver to see if he could get anything (I assume looking for an infection) but it was not successful. His feeling was that diagnosing and/or treating the condition was likely to be painful and possibly fatal and suggested that I keep her comfortable and fed. So that's what I'm doing. She's at least 5 years old and I got her from a rescue in NJ last year, where she had been for nearly a year. SInce early Feb. she has pretty much maintained her weight and the liver doesn't seem to have changed size. She seems comfortable, i.e. not arched up in pain. I still have to hand feed her; she won'[t eat on her own.

ALiza

Visit our friends