Long Vacation

Bg3489

Hi! I currently go to college in Syracuse and have leopard geckos who are doing great. I leave school for December break in about 2 weeks and will be gone from school for about a month . I was wondering what would be best or my geckos over this long break? I could easily take them home with me but it's about a 4 hour car ride and was wondering if this would be alright? Also I was curious if there would be any advantage/ if it was safe to just leave them at school and stimulate a short winter. I read someplace that some people allow thier geckos to not eat or be in thier normal temperature to promote the breeding cycle. Let me know thanks!

nats

How many geckos do you have.

Taking them with you would require alot of preperation and supplies,
not recommended unless you think you can do it w/o stressing the animals.

As for letting them go into a "burmation" buy allowing them to see the day
cycles, and lowering the temp, that would be what I would do. But it may take some time for them to adjust to that cycle, and it's best to do it a little at a time.

If you can put them in a area that does not get the direct sunlight, and set your thermostate 10F lower.

They still need water and their moist hide will still need to be sprayed regular
in case they decide to shed while your away. And feed them all they will eat before you leave.

You will still need to have someone look after them regardless.
They wont have to feed them, just keep the moist hide moist and change the water. And they wont poop very much w/o food.

If your leos are healthy, and have lots of reserve fat, they can go a long time w/o food. And it is not being cruel to do this.

Bg3489

I have two geckos. I can Definetly start to adjust thier temp now since I have two weeks before I have to leave them. I heard that you are supposed to stop feeding about 2 weeks before this process because they need time to clear thier digestive tracts before being in a low heat enviornment is this true? Also they are still pretty young ( about 7 months ) but are healthy and have big fat tails. Is thier age a cause for concern?

nats

No, 7 months is not too young.
I dont know about the not feeding 2 week before thing, never heard of that before.

Visit our friends