changing feeders advice..

Khrysty

So, I've got a couple of picky eaters on my hands. One has been eating mealies all her life and suddenly has stopped eating. It's possible she's just ovulating and, as I'm not home to check her myself, I'm sort of unconcerned..

The second came to me from someone who was feeding her roaches (because she wouldn't eat anything else). We get her roaches when we can and she just gobbles them up but it gets expensive. We don't keep roaches, we keep mealies. Further, roaches aren't allowed in the house so we have to sneak them in every time. It's just hard on my little sister, who's been taking care of these guys during the school year for me. She loves them and she's so scared that they're not eating.

I suggested she tried to feed the two crickets. Do you think that would stimulate their appetite? I know mealies don't move around much so I figured crickets were the next step up. Really the only feeders she can get to on a regular basis are the mealies from the colony I keep at home and feeders that come from the small pet store in town. They have supers, mealies, and crix.

Also,
Is there any way to wean the second girl onto mealies as a staple? My sister's tried offering them with tongs, from her fingers, dropped in front of the gecko, and they've been in a bowl in the cage 24/7 for about a month now but she's only eaten maybe a handful.

Any advice is appreciated :)

Khrysty

No, as far as I know she'll only eat roaches. She's eaten maybe five mealies since I got her about a month ago. I'd like to wean her off of them (roaches), and onto mealworms if I can, as my sister has better access to those. I just don't know how to do it.

Visit our friends