very young gecko not eatting..

D

Dorazio

alright one week ago i got a blizzard from ********..yes them.. for $30..its super young(1 monthish) and looked pretty good..i love to rescue from ********...

well since night two hes been either throwing his food back up or just not eatting at all..his tail is pretty thin and hes about 8grams..iv tried fresh molted worms..small worms.. small crickets...with tweezers and without hes just not intrested(4 days with no intrest)

so i take it too a vet..they check it over..say its good shape aside from not eatting(duh)..we both agree its probably parasites.. so she goes ahead gives him a cloaca and .2mg of fenbendazole after (got results today saying no parasites or worms....)

so..why is he not eatting? can anyone help me..id rather not take him back to ******** but i might not have any choice :(

EDIT: runny stool also.

Last edited by a moderator:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Ask the vet if they did a test for crypto, and if not, can they do one. Keep your gecko far from any other reptiles if you have them and wash your hands well after you handle it. If you're not sure what crypto is, please search for "crypto" or "cryptosporidiosis" in the forums.

Aliza

D

Dorazio

i wouldnt need to go back into the vet would i? i rather not have to do that to him again.

is cypto the worse possible senario?

i looked at some pictures..hes not that bad looking..ill try and post one

D

Dorazio

went to take a picture and!

threw a cricket in there..he ate it..its good news but i still dont think everything is okay. the vet is supose to be calling me tomorrow and ill bring up cypto

sleepyjones

He could still be getting used to his new home, you've not had him for that long.

Post up all your vitals ... number of hides, what substrate, hot and cold temperatures etc, try and get a picture of your setup, it could be something as simple as it's not warm enough, or it's too warm in there, or even that the enclosure is too big.

Keep him separated from any other geckos, and to be honest I'd give it another week before I seriously started to worry about it.

I don't wanna take away from the great advice and help the members of this forum give; as it is good advice, and is a very helpful resource ... but I think sometimes it's too easy to just say get him to a vet, when in a lot of cases that's perhaps not necessary.

I wouldn't necessarily worry about it too much at this early stage though.

RampantReptiles

you wouldnt need to go to the vet again to test for crypto, just another fecal test.
also I agree with the previous statement, probably too early to tell.
Can try making up some slurry to help jump start his appetite. Slurry recipe is at the top of the Health and Medications page.
good luck!

D

Dorazio

2 hides warm/cold
1 moist(warm)
uth on 1/3
water and worm dish(calcium in it)
paper towel
88-90 degrees

my set up is fine but throwing up everything you eat..if you eat it..doesnt seem fine..even if it is the first week(including last nights)

ill keep at it but its not looking good

only issue with slurry is i cant find some of those items nor do i own a blender :(

Visit our friends