Need A Litlle Help

vinzyangel

Need A Litlle Help EDIT PICS

I recently (a couple months ago) purchased some Green Anoles. I read that they breed in the spring and summer, and I got a surprise, it is September and I have 6 eggs. I was wanting to know about any special care, or if I should get a setup and put the eggs in it? I am prepared to do anything for these little ones, and will most likely keep all of them.

anoleseggs.png

Last edited:

thegeckoguy23

Relatively few keepers succeed in breeding green anoles (Anolis carolinensis) into a second generation. Green anoles aren’t hard to mate, and females lay fertile eggs, but the babies can be very difficult to keep alive until old enough to take care of themselves.

First figure out if you can legailly breed green anoles. t to breed them. First, change your cage. A 20-gallon-long tank will house several anoles, but it really won’t give the male the proper sites to set up a territory. You want a taller terrarium — one double the height of the 20 gallon long. Only a single male green anole lizard can be kept in the terrarium, which should have living or artificial plants and perches

The plants serve two purposes: they allow the green anoles to establish a distinct territory with boundaries, and they serve as a base on which clean water should be sprayed at least twice a day. Green anole lizards seldom drink from a water dish, but they often lick water droplets from leaves. This becomes very important when trying to keep the babies alive. Fairly warm (80 degrees Fahrenheit) temperatures, humid but airy conditions, and good lighting for at least 12 hours a day will help your anoles stay healthy.

Mature female green anoles that enter the male’s territory will be chased, caught with a strong bite to the nape of the neck and then maneuvered for breeding. After mating, the female is released and may not be bred again. One mating is sufficient for a female to produce eggs all summer while still holding some sperm into the next breeding season. However, before each egg is laid, the female has to be courted. She has to see a male bobbing his head and displaying the pink neck pice thinggy lol.

Each mated female green anole lizard produces one egg roughly every 10 days during the laying season, which runs through the summer and into early autumn. You can expect a dozen eggs total from each female. Keep an eye out for newly laid eggs, and try removing some for incubation while leaving others for natural development.

You can use vermiculite as a egg laying substrate with the sqeez method i bealive works best. You should use a clear plastic dellie cup with a tight fitting lid.

Jake

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Relatively few keepers succeed in breeding green anoles (Anolis carolinensis) into a second generation. Green anoles aren’t hard to mate, and females lay fertile eggs, but the babies can be very difficult to keep alive until old enough to take care of themselves.

First figure out if you can legailly breed green anoles. t to breed them. First, change your cage. A 20-gallon-long tank will house several anoles, but it really won’t give the male the proper sites to set up a territory. You want a taller terrarium — one double the height of the 20 gallon long. Only a single male green anole lizard can be kept in the terrarium, which should have living or artificial plants and perches

The plants serve two purposes: they allow the green anoles to establish a distinct territory with boundaries, and they serve as a base on which clean water should be sprayed at least twice a day. Green anole lizards seldom drink from a water dish, but they often lick water droplets from leaves. This becomes very important when trying to keep the babies alive. Fairly warm (80 degrees Fahrenheit) temperatures, humid but airy conditions, and good lighting for at least 12 hours a day will help your anoles stay healthy.

Mature female green anoles that enter the male’s territory will be chased, caught with a strong bite to the nape of the neck and then maneuvered for breeding. After mating, the female is released and may not be bred again. One mating is sufficient for a female to produce eggs all summer while still holding some sperm into the next breeding season. However, before each egg is laid, the female has to be courted. She has to see a male bobbing his head and displaying the pink neck pice thinggy lol.

Each mated female green anole lizard produces one egg roughly every 10 days during the laying season, which runs through the summer and into early autumn. You can expect a dozen eggs total from each female. Keep an eye out for newly laid eggs, and try removing some for incubation while leaving others for natural development.

You can use vermiculite as a egg laying substrate with the sqeez method i bealive works best. You should use a clear plastic dellie cup with a tight fitting lid.

Jake

I may be wrong, but I somehow have a feeling that you got this from somewhere else. That's fine and it was nice of you to provide the information, but if you didn't write it yourself it's proper to cite the source either with a link or information about where it came from.

Aliza

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Do i need to keep the eggs warm? Im worried they will get too cool.

Try googling "breeding anoles" and see at what temperature the eggs should be incubated. Some lizard species require a steady temperature above the usual room temperature (like leopard gecko eggs) and some lizard eggs can be incubated in the tank at room temp (like crestie eggs).

Aliza

Visit our friends