Do we have an electrition in the house?

BalloonzForU

Ok, Just got some more 3" flexwatt 10 watts per foot, going to parallel wire 4 pieces 2ft long each. Total would be 80 Watts, 0.666666666 amps. What is the smallest gauge wire I can use when soldering these. Would 20 or 22 be fine? I was trying out on some scraps with 16 and its a pain in the butt, was thinking smaller would be easier, but I still want it to be safe.

And does anyone have any hints on how to get the solder to attach to the flexwatt better. I've melted away the plastic at the connection point fine, even tried sanding it a little afterwards to help, but it stil wants to pop off, at least sometimes it stays.

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
Sorry, I'm no help! I've never had solder pop off before. I usually clamp the flexwatt and wire together (using locking needlenose pliers) so that the solder has a chance to cool completely without stress to the bondng area. At the same time....I just might be the worlds sloppiest solderer - you may not want my advice! LOL

PaulSage

I'm baaaaaack!
For the wires, I just use the cheap-o household extension cords. I think they're 12 or 14 guage. So, I don't think I'd be of much help there. :main_no:

As far as the soldering goes, here's my preferred method: :D

Heat_Tape_4.jpg

Those may or may not work depending on where you're installing the heat tape though. I did upload a few other pictures of soldering the connections to my photo gallery here. Not sure if those help or not, but I srape the plastic away with a single-edge razor blade, secure the wire and the heat tape with some masking tape to hold it in place, and then hold the wire down with the soldering iron and touch the solder to the tip and the wire. It's kind of an art to get it to adhere to the heat tape though. Some times it helps to melt a little solder on to the heat tape first, and then try using a little more to attach the wire to it.

I don't know if that helps or not, but I haven't been posting much lately and just wanted to try to be useful. lol

(ps, I'm not an electrician, although I did get almost 8 hours of sleep last night)

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
Did you also save a bunch of money switching to Gieco?

PS: Your solder looks a lot prettier than mine....but I also daisy chain mine, so I have to double up the wires on both sides.

BalloonzForU

I couldn't find 20 gauge so I got 18. However the 18 is easier to work with than the 16 was. I've got half of one section done. And Shanti, you're idea worked great. I got a vise grip to hold the wire in place, it is helping a lot.

Once I get the hatchling rack all done, I'll be in the chat room! I still have to finish doing this section and the other two, then rip the old stuff out of the rack and put the new in so it will be a while.

Thanks guys.

PaulSage

I'm baaaaaack!
marula said:
where you buy them paul? you found them in roll?...because i like this solution for my tanks..do you think will be a problem use them under the plastic box?
Do you mean the heat tape? I get my heat tape from Matt @ MGReptiles. All the other goodies I pick up at Menard's. I used the same method under the aquariums that I keep my roaches in, and I think it works fine provided that you have the heat tape controlled by a thermostat.

Visit our friends